But first … bullet proof protein matcha late. Okay, it doesn’t quite have the same ring as “coffee”, but it’ll give you the same get-your-booty-going kick and it tastes so dreamy!!
Long story – short (ish)… I’ve never been a coffee drinker. However, for some reason, when I was pregnant, it was one of the things that I CRAVED! I decided to not drink it bc of the caffeine. Then, I continued to crave it while I was nursing, but still refrained.
The night of Declan’s 1st birthday was the moment he and I both decided nursing had come to a bittersweet end… and I kid you not, I was in the Starbucks line the next morning for a “grande, hot, coconut milk (bc they didn’t have almond yet) latte macchiato” and I’ve been hooked ever since. (Umm… he’s turning 2 in a couple days, so yeah, it’s been a year.)
It’s now evolved into an almond milk latte macchiato with a packet of Stevia, because GO Starbucks for becoming healthier and healthier… but still!! You may be a coffee drinker reading this, thinking “Don’t you dare tell me my coffee is bad for me, I’m NEVER giving it up!” I totally understand, girl! I’ve got the bug too… I’m way deep in the love affair with the daily cup of “joy”.
While coffee has some great benefits to it, it’s also very acidic and can mess with your sleep patterns + adrenal glands, can cause dehydration if you don’t keep up with your water, and your body can become dependent on it for energy. Not to mention, it stains your teeth (+ I love me some pearly whites).
For these reasons, I’m personally making an effort to supplement my now coffee addiction with healthier options. Whether you’re in the same speed boat with me right now or you still vow to never let go of Joe… this is an amazing alternative that is packed with antioxidants, healthy fats + even protein!
If you’ve ever heard of “Bullet Proof Coffee” then this will look familiar to you. Adding a little MCT (coconut) oil + grass fed butter to your coffee helps to “supercharge your brain function and create effortless fat loss with no cravings.”
I’ve taken this philosophy and added it to matcha green tea powder to make this energizing + nourishing (would that equal = “enourigishing”?!) drink that you’re going to love and dare I say, begin to CRAVE as much as Mr. Coffee?! It’s a modified recipe from the “Metabolism Morning Drinks” in my Slimmer in Seven eBook because it’s a fat-loss bestie!!
Here’s what you need to whip one up for yourself:
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (bonus, get this protein packed version that I’m obsessed with right now by Orgain with 10g of vegan protein per serving)
- 1 1/2 tsp matcha green tea powder (I’m pretty keen to my organic matcha by Matcha Love + I don’t get any kickbacks for saying that)
- 1 tsp coconut oil (or MCT oil)
- 1 tsp grass fed ghee (or grass fed butter, like Kerri Gold)
- 1 packet of stevia (or 7 drops of vanilla liquid stevia)
- 1 traditional Japanese matcha mug (just kidding, I just happened to get one for Christmas. Thanks, Doug!)
- And a milk frother/whisk (these are super cheap + so handy for quick mixing without a blender)
- Heat almond milk, coconut oil + butter in a saucepan until simmer
- Take off burner
- Sprinkle in matcha powder + stevia
- Use milk frother to mix it all together while still in the pot
- Pour into mug
- Enjoy and think “OMGeee thanks, Lauren!”
You’re very welcome 😉
Health benefits of Matcha:
Photos by: Steve McBride
- High in Antioxidants
- Loaded with Catechin
- Enhances Calm
- Boosts Memory and Concentration
- Increases Energy Levels and Endurance
- Burns Calories
- Detoxifies the Body
- Fortifies the Immune System
Yes please to all the things matcha!! Just in case you needed a little stronger nudge to try this recipe. 😉
In Health, Happiness + a Good Brain Buzz