Gotta love garlic!
Today is National Garlic Day so I am going to spice up your life with some tasty info, tricks and tips on how to get this beneficial bulb into your diet. Did you know…?
- Waiting 5-10 minutes after mincing garlic before adding to your dish allows for the health promoting sulfur compounds to form.
- The finer you chop garlic, the more phytonutrients are released… the more pungent the smell, the more health benefits.
- Cooking for too long reduces the nutritional value so add garlic at the end of the cooking process for the most benefit.
- Taking a tbsp of chopped or minced raw garlic can greatly improve your immune system when you are feeling sick. Plug your nose and get it down!
- The green sprouts that form in garlic that sits on the counter is actually good for you! If you can handle their bitter taste they are packed with healthy flavonoids so chop them up with the rest and reap the rewards.
- Garlic is the third most powerful aphrodisiac in the world! I guess they didn’t take the garlic breath into consideration ; )
Health Benefits of Garlic
- Anti Aging – powerful antioxidant fight against free radicals that cause signs of aging
- Boosts immune system- Powerful antibacterial, antiviral, anti-fungal and anti-parasitic agents. I look at is as a bad-ass clean up team that removes the bad junk from your body and fights off harmful invaders.
- Detoxifies and helps fat metabolism- keeping you a lean, clean, fat burning machine.
- Anti-fungal and anti-parasitic– I look at is as a bad-ass clean up team that removes the bad junk from your body and fights off harmful invaders.
- Rich in vitamins- good source of vitamin B6, Vitamin C, manganese, calcium, copper & phosphorous
- Anti-cancer food- research is showing strong evidence that the healthy compounds in garlic can actually prevent cancer.
Garlic Basil Pesto
2 cups fresh basil leaves 4 cloves garlic 1/4 cup raw unsalted walnuts 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided Himalayan pink sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions Combine all ingredients into blender/Vitamix or food processor and blend until fully incorporated and smooth.
I like to add this pesto over brown rice pasta and chicken! Try as a dip with veggie sticks (carrots, celery, peppers, radish) or even brown rice crackers. In Health and Happiness, Lauren McBride