If you commit to being in the kitchen for a good amount of time for one day (I choose Sunday), you can whip up enough food for most of the week, making healthy eating quick and easy! Quick Tips: Freeze 7-10 zip lock bags of your favorite combo of fresh fruit for on-the-go smoothies… just add almond milk and protein powder, blend and run! Example: 1/2 cup blue berries, 1/2 banana, 1 tsp cinnamon Tip: (use old mason jar instead… then you can pour the smoothie right back into the jar to drink from and you aren’t using the plastic) Freeze big baggies filled with crockpot recipes to throw in the slow cooker in the morning and come home to dinner filled air after work. Example:
- 1 large sweet potato cubed
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3-4 celery stalks
- 1 small sweet onion
- 2 handfuls baby carrots
Add 1/2 gallon low sodium, free range organic chicken broth and spices, set it and forget it!! Cook in BULK:
- Cook one bag of brown rice
- Boil one dozen eggs
- Bake 4+ chicken breasts and a couple salmon filets
- Chop up a whole bunch of celery into 2 inch pieces (place in tupperwares with cherry tomatoes and 2 Tbsp hummus each)
- Cook 4+ sweet potatoes (can be made into mashed sweet potatoes, added to salads, thrown in smoothies or reheated)
- Make a couple pounds of turkey burgers or grass fed beef/bison burgers
- Put a handful of baby carrots with 2 Tbsp of almond butter into easy to grab containers for an easy afternoon snack.
- Sort out 12 almonds or 10 walnuts into small containers for a pick me up during the day with a piece of fruit.
Make sure to plan your meals so that you don’t cook too little or too much. Remember food is only good for 3-4 days in the fridge after cooking so this effort will take you to Thursday. You don’t want to be tossing food out at the end of the week, so start at a level you feel works for you. Be creative! Think about your favorite healthy foods that you eat mostly during the week and cook up or prepared it all at once. It’s such a wonderful feeling to go to the fridge and just be able to grab what you need and know you are supporting your healthy diet. I promise a little effort each weekend makes your healthy lifestyle SO much easier during the week. Try it tonight and let me know what you thought! 🙂