I just whipped together my nightly “White Water” that I have every night before bed and I just have to share the life changing benefits of adding this simple drink to your routine!!
While every ingredient has amazing effects I’m going to focus on one in particular because it’s an essential mineral/electrolyte for our bodies that’s responsible for over 300 metabolic functions, yet it’s projected that up to 90% of us are deficient!
Can you guess what it is? It’s MAGNESIUM! Not something that’s really talked a whole lot about, right? Well let’s start talking!!
Being low in magnesium has some really big consequences. Here are the warning signs that you may have seen on my Instagram:
Some other symptoms are low thyroid, adrenal fatigue, constipation, poor memory, migraines/ headaches, and inflammation. If you’re experiencing many of these symptoms, there’s a good chance you may be low in magnesium.
I got you, girl! I’m sharing with you some very easy ways to get more mag into your daily diet and handing you my secret (until now), nightly recipe that I’ve only shared with my clients and closest friends.
You’ll be surprised at how much better you feel!!
I was personally dealing with many of these symptoms recently and after several visits to doctors, a heart specialist, and a full panel blood test (magnesium deficiency can’t be found this way), I was left at a loss… but I turned back to nutrition and food as medicine as I always do and discovered on my own that I must have been deficient in this mineral. I started drinking my “White Water” recipe every night and increased my magnesium slowly until it was the right level for me and many of these issues have cleared up completely or gotten so much better!! (Number 1 below was probably my culprit)
WHY ARE WE DEFICIENT?
- Stress hormones require high levels of magnesium, making us burn through our stores.
- Our soil has less magnesium than it did years ago. Modern farming techniques have depleted it from our crops.
- Medications like diuretics, antibiotics, painkillers and cortisone deplete mag from your body by impairing absorption or increasing excretion by the kidneys.
- High sugar diets. For every molecule of sugar we eat our bodies use 54 molecules of magnesium to process it!
- Caffeine and alcohol cause the kidneys to release more magnesium and make it less available to our cells.
WHAT ARE SOME MAG-RICH FOODS YOU CAN ADD TO YOUR DIET?
In order from most to least amount of magnesium.
- Dark Chocolate
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Black Beans
Yaasss… see the dark chocolate!? I thought you might like that one. I used to be a CHOCOHOLIC, needing some dark chocolate every night.
Your body will talk to you and crave foods that have nutrients you need. Since I’ve been taking my magnesium supplements, I honestly don’t crave it or even want it anymore. So cool!!
HOW CAN I SUPPLEMENT?
I completely understand that supplements can be confusing so I want to make it as simple as possible for you. Each form has it’s own benefits so I hope this break down helps you choose which form would be best for you.
- Magnesium Chelate- highly absorbable and the kind found in foods naturally.
- Magnesium Citrate- this may have a laxative effect when taken in too high of doses but safe and effective with constipation. This is my favorite way of taking mag with Natural Vitality Calm product. It’s in powder form and one of the ingredients in my White Water drink below. (It won’t give you a laxative effect if you ease into it slowly)
- Magnesium Chloride Oil- an oil form of magnesium that can be applied to skin for amazing absorption and used by athletes to increase energy and endurance and lower muscle pain. I love Ancient Minerals and use it in my sauna or after a detox bath.
- Magnesium Glycinate- highly absorbable, and less likely to cause laxative effects than some other magnesium supplements.
- Magnesium Threonate- has a high level of absorbability/bioavailability since it can penetrate the mitochondrial membrane. I take Pure Encapsulations Cogni-Mag during the day to improve mental clarity and alertness.
- Magnesium Orotate- this form is particularly good for the heart.
Okay, now for the reveal of my magical drink that will help you sleep restfully and also support anti-aging, immunity and gut health.
WHITE WATER FOR RAPID BEAUTY SLEEP
This drink that has been life changing for me is a part of my nightly ritual now; along with diffusing essential oils and gratitude journaling that I do while I’m drinking it. It’s something I don’t even think about anymore, I just do it and it’s benefits have been amazing (including my nails being stronger than ever before because of the collagen… but that’s for another blog!)
Soooo, what do you think? Are you going to try it?
I’d absolutely love to hear if you think this was helpful for you. Write a comment below! Do you use magnesium? Are you going to start trying one of these tips above? I’d love to know.
Sending you so much love.